Re: Does anyone find PDB/CDB DBs have value?

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 14:07:30 -0500

On 2019/04/17 08:42, Dba DBA wrote:

> So far I have to treat it basically like separate DBs. I log into the root DB, but to look at v$ views or do maintenance I have to open each individual DB. If oracle figures out a way to run reports against the data dictionary for all DBs I think it will be more useful. I have not really looked at version 18 yet so not sure if they added much for PDB/CDBs.
>
> What do others think?

I've wondered the same thing about the value of multitenant (or even single-tenant) DBs. I don't see any advantages for me with PDBs. Our test/dev/QA environments use different schema and tablespace names from Production. Those "lower" environments also have new and changed objects in them that differ from Production. So it doesn't appear that cloning is an option there. With only 7 Production instances and 8 test/dev/QA, the single-tenant configuration is likely going to be a significant change with zero benefit and possibly some large drawbacks for me.

Hmmmm....rereading, this sounds whinier than I want it to. The industry always changes, and we need to adapt. Although sometimes I wish we ran businesses on Commodore Amigas...those were FUN. :)

Rich

Discalimer: I've installed 18c XE and am using it, but really haven't played with PDBs much.