Re: Re: Does anyone find PDB/CDB DBs have value?

From: John Thomas <jt2354_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 19:30:40 +0100

The single biggest point is supposed to be for the bean-counters' benefit not ours.

PDBs in a CDB share the same memory. If you have a 90GB SGA in production and want your UAT DBs to have the same allocation but don't want to pay for a server with 100GB for each UAT DB, you can cram them all into one Dev server, as long as most of the Dev DBs are relatively inactive - if they each make production-like active use of their 90GB it's a false economy of course.

As is often the case with Oracle licensing, the bean-counters have been blindfolded and can only see the hardware budget. At US$17,500 per CPU extra (list) for a multi-tenant license, it may well be cheaper to go out and buy a few extra dev servers and dedicate one to your production-like performance test database.

It's a nice idea and has good potential for best use of hardware resources, let down by licensing that may well undermine the business case in most environments.

Regards,

John Thomas
Database Designer and Administrator
https://oracleexpert.net