RE: SQL Developer line numbers

From: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 08:53:16 -0700 (PDT)

I ran the entire script - contents of the sql worksheet, and I executed JUST the package, both seemed to work.

I tested this on 18.4 and 19.1 (what we're working on internally now)

Here's exactly what I have in my worksheet, and executed via F5

select 1 from dual;

set serveroutput on

begin

dbms_output.put_line('hello, Oracle-l!');

end;

/

create or replace package errors_much as

procedure x (a in integer);

procedre y (b in date);

end package errors_much;

/

select 3 from dual;

select sysdate from dual;

Both times it took me right to

 procedre y (b in date);

Jeff

From: Paul Houghton <Paul.Houghton_at_uis.cam.ac.uk> Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 11:48 AM
To: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Cc: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_fpl.com>; niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com Subject: RE: SQL Developer line numbers

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Jeff Smith said use the compiler log panel. This doesn't work for me. I have a worksheet with some random SQL statements, a package header then the package body. The line numbers for errors in the package body are wrong so "Go to source" is also wrong. It might be counting from the package declaration (at line 31) instead of the package body. If I add in some blank lines above the package body and recompile, the line number of the error doesn't change. Maybe it is a bug?

See HYPERLINK "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__people.ds.cam.ac.uk_psh35_tmp_sqldev-5Flinenumbers.png&d=DwMFAg&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=N2hWu5HFsaIjmMkjQbnlokJ7uinNZMgPVk8rqPT9esM&m=YpiB2GBvRhCL6xTbsbm4v3-alrR3JwqMYQN-jbVVv_Q&s=Fk6-ebwkg1hnixPFV1Ppgehffm9y2PWdko5z6VmGDes&e="http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/psh35/tmp/sqldev_linenumbers.png

Niall Litchfield asked why I didn't have the package and body in separate files. No reason, it just never occurred to me because the package body is no use without the definition and vice versa. This would fix the problem though, and if it is the normal way to work I should probably follow it.

Jeremy Sheehan said look at dba_source, which does work, except to fix the error I still have to find the line in the source file and correct it there. I can click on the object definition and edit that, except I want the file in source control. I am experimenting with the git integration and quite like it.

SQL developer Version is:

Version 18.4.0.376

Build 376.1900

Database is 12.2.0.1