RE: Keep buffer cache question

From: Reen, Elizabeth <"Reen,>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 15:38:56 +0000

                There is an invisible line at which performance changes.  I have found that it only takes a couple more records to go over the line and have been stuck many times explaining exactly what you are seeing.  A few dumb questions;

How current are your stats?
Does the table have a lot of deletes? If so rebuilding the indexes might help. Is everything in the same tablespace? Separating indexes from tables occasionally helps. What is the sql doing? I cured one issue by having them rewrite the sql. They were doing a max on a date column where date is less than sysdate. Of course the table was not archived or partitioned at the time. So they were doing a full table scan on a 200 gig table.

                The idea is to bring back the least amount of data possible.  It may be time to add another index or to change one.  Look at the disks not memory, reducing time spent there is always good.

Elizabeth Reen

From: [freelists.org] oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of [freelists.org] dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org Sent: Friday, March 15, 2019 11:02 AM
To: xt.and.r_at_gmail.com; dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Keep buffer cache question

Yes, index and table blocks. No DDL for quite a while and no large DML that I’ve been able to uncover.

No memory pool resizing since January 9, 2019.

Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA
201.369.8355

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sayan Malakshinov Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:06 PM
To: dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org<mailto:dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> Cc: ORACLE-L

Hi Jay,

Have you checked what is it reading? Index blocks, table blocks or undo? Were there any DDL or huge DML operations? Have you checked v$bh? What about memory settings? AMM/ASMM/manual? Have you checked v$sga_resize_ops?

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:22 AM Redacted sender Jay.Miller for DMARC <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org<mailto:dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org>> wrote: Odd issue here. One of our apps reported slightly increased latency on a heavily used database which started Monday evening and has been consistent since. This is not large from a database perspective but the increase of average response time from 1 to 3 microseconds has had a noticeable impact on their performance.

No execution plan changes, a slightly heavier load at peak times (up about 10% from last week) but nothing that I would expect to have such an impact. We still see the increased latency when the server is 90% idle and the load average is 5 (32 cpus, 16 cores).

In doing an AWR report comparison for comparable times one major difference I saw was that 2 frequently run queries were suddenly doing a lot of physical i/o. For a comparable 2 hour period they went from 1.5 million to 1.8 million executions but physical reads increased from 0 to 1.2 million. I sampled a few other random times and this was consistent. The queries are both doing index access. One is an index range scan and the other a unique scan against the primary key.

I checked with the app group and they have no explanation for why the app might suddenly be querying blocks that aren't in cache whereas they weren't last week.

TIA! Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA

--

Best regards,