Re: Fun with ALTER_USER

From: Andy Klock <andy_at_oracledepot.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 08:39:30 -0500

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 3:26 PM Gus Spier <gus.spier_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> It fell in my lap to produce the tool. It certainly seems that it should
> work. But I suspect there are complications with which I am unfamiliar.

Apart from Dynamic SQL being the devil and me not wanting to rain on your fun, this all looks like a really bad idea. I like that management is trying to address a common attack vector, but this tool is opening ways to hand passwords to would-be attackers. If the connection from the client to the database isn't encrypted then the password is going over the wire in clear text. And since it is being passed into a bind variable then it is sitting in the SGA in clear text. (Meaning, anyone with SELECT ANY DICTIONARY, regardless of who they are what their role is, can possibly see it).

The best tool for changing passwords is sqlplus. (But you probably already knew that :) ) It validates that the old password is known and that the new password has been typed in correctly twice. The new password is never sent or stored clear text, so dramatically more secure. Time would be better spent writing a function that validates that the new password conforms to your company policy.

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DBSEG/authentication.htm#GUID-38B80221-55AE-4928-9AC0-4CAFFD5A4E96

And hopefully your DEVs are using wallets :)

Sorry about being a bummer.

Andy K