Re: Past blogs

From: Andy Klock <andy_at_oracledepot.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 09:07:00 -0500

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 2:31 PM Orlando L <oralrnr_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Not a totally tech question, but related anyway: I happen to come
> across the Oracle blog of Karen Morton, I found useful materials. Now that
> the author is no more, does anyone happen to know if the site is still
> being maintained by someone and how long it will be available.
>
> Orlando.

Hi Orlando,

This is a problem with web in general, which is why The Internet Archive ( archive.org) is so important. The other problem is that blogs/tech articles/etc used to be stored in simple html files which can be easily archived. Now, more and more folks are dumping their great information behind social media sites (I'm looking at you Linkedin) and paywalls. I wish people would stop doing that. IMO, it's far better to write your stuff and post it somewhere that can then be linked to if you have to scratch a social itch.

In other tech areas I'm seeing the trend of going back to static websites. Some are now being stored in git repositories which are then used to render (or just store as) html. I'm not really much of a blogger, but i can see that being a nice way to go.

Karen used Blogspot which is maintained by Google, so it's archived so I guess can be considered relatively safe. Embarcadero Technologies maintains Karen's videos (via youtube) which I would also consider safe, but maybe it's not a bad idea to make a copy of all of our favorites and port them to Peertube for posterity.

I miss Karen a lot.

Andy K