Re: How to purge metric values from dropped metric extension in EM13c?

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:34:23 -0500

On 2018/10/29 09:43, Chris Taylor wrote:

> Have you looked at the SYSMAN MGMT_METRICS tables.
>
> There's a METRIC_GUID (but perhaps it got removed as well?). I would think you'd be able to manually do either:
>
> 1. Delete the mgmt collected metrics from the SYSMAN schema in the repository
> 2. Save the metrics you want to keep to a temp table, truncate the metrics table(s) and reinsert the saved values
>
> OEM would need to be down while you did that though. Purging data manually from the SYSMAN tables is pretty straight forward once you have the METRIC_GUID and find all the child tables that also have that GUID.

Hey Chris,

I have looked and it's gone, which is exactly what I would expect from dropping the ME. However, in troubleshooting performance in getting these metric values out of EM, I do have the ME's Metric Group ID. I can grab all 27M+ of the metric values using:

SELECT
    k.*
FROM

    sysman.em_metric_items_e i,
    sysman.em_metric_string_latest_e v,
    sysman.em_metric_keys_e k

WHERE
    i.metric_item_id = v.metric_item_id
    AND i.metric_key_id = k.metric_key_id     AND i.metric_group_id = 7541;

While I'm sure I could come up with a fun way to drop all of those manually via SQL, I'd much prefer a supported method. There's a lot to consider, like after deleting the ~27M rows (1M less than I thought before) from EM_METRIC_STRING_LATEST_E, there'll be only 5K rows left. And around 8K rows left from EM_METRIC_ITEMS_E. If this was any "normal" data system, I'd be rebuilding those tables instead of deleting the rows. And since I don't have a comprehensive list of what tables would need to be rebuilt, I'm much less comfortable doing that.

Thanks!
Rich