Re: Oracle 12.2 logins hang

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 22:40:44 +0100

I worked on a site some years ago which had had an application which logged on to the database once for *every* item of data on a screen. 10 fields = 10 trips to the database. It used to hang up too. This was 9.2.0.1 if I remember, but definitely on Windows.

What was happening was that all the logins were "using up" all available TCP ports on the server and there was apparently a timeout, somewhere in the server network config, that meant the ports couldn't be reused until the timeout expired. Due to the massive login storms, the server ran out of ports before the timeouts expired resulting in a total inability to connect.

That was initially fixed by using shared connections, and eventually by getting the third party to rewrite the application. Took them 18 months!

I don't suppose this is (part of) your problem? Unfortunately they had switched to shared connections just before I started, so I wasn't in on the discovery of the problem, or what they found that confirmed it.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Norm.

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue May 29 2018 - 23:40:44 CEST