Re: troubleshooting slow I/O performance.

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 21:26:51 +0200 (CEST)

Hey Chris,
there is a pretty old paper called "Useful Constants for the Oracle Performance Analyst" by Cary Millsap and Jeff Holt which mentions 10 ms per single-block disk read (PIO) as max. tolerated latency per event.

However you usually see much lower latency per event (basically what you have expected) as storage sub-systems (even the cheaper mid-range ones) have read/write caches to support the spinning disks. So I would not consider 10 ms as "normal" as long as I am not sure about the root cause of it.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK