Re: Long running backups - OK?

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 07:55:32 +0700

I think you didn't quite think this through Mladen.

As your very own quote states, you must be able to show the records. That means in a readable form. A backup that can't be restored isn't a readable form of data.

Just think about it - you pass your audits by whoever and show "backups" but you're unable to restore them (or you don't know if you can because you never tested it). Then there comes a court case along where insight into that data is required. And you can't produce it, because your 7-year old 9.2 backups can't be restored for whatever reason (the files are corrupted, an archivelog is missing, take your pick). You'll end up in a highly unpleasant situation.

Anything that states records or data must be retained for a specific amount of time, obviously implicitly states that it must be in a readable form. A backup that isn't restore-able is utterly worthless and accomplishes only one thing - it wastes disk space. That translates for the DBA to do restore tests with those old backups to ensure they are indeed readable.

--
//
zztat - The Next-Gen Oracle Performance Monitoring and Reaction Framework!