Re: ASM Filter Driver Performance

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:05:28 -0500

On 01/25/2018 03:47 PM, Jared Still wrote:

> What I found was not what I was looking for:  20% better IO
> performance over ASMLib.

To make sense, this statement needs further description. If ASM Filter Driver performs 20% better under any circumstances, then ASMLib is a piece of s...tuff. On the other hand, ASMLib is just a version of raw device driver, which bypasses limitation of having a maximum od 255. ASMLib is simple and easy to use. To make such a statement plausible, the author would need to do the following:

As I have already written, ASM Filter Driver is very new. Any bugs in the driver mechanism can bring your instance, and therefore your database, down. Such outlandish claims do not convince me on the merit of using filter driver.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant