Re: Non-technical query about patching databases

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 04:36:17 +0700

I agree with what was said. It also depends on the databases. A lot.

There are Oracle databases out there which are mostly idle, see very little activity and with the application doing virtually nothing, patching also has a very small chance of actually breaking anything. Databases like that you can patch with very little effort, even fully automated.

But there are also wholly different beasts out there, which require weeks of testing (which will consume DBA time to support the testing efforts) and it can be a full-time job for one guy to just plan, test, and finally deploy the patch through development, QA and production for a single database.

What I would do if I had to get a realistic approximate is try and get the following data:

Another point to plan for is failure handling - if you're patching 50 DBs, odds are one will fail. That'll take time to handle as well. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

Stefan

--
//
zztat - The Next-Gen Oracle Performance Monitoring and Reaction Framework!