Re: Overhead of Dataguard

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 09:24:42 -0600

I have done a lot of work with Dataguard in just about any conceivable scenario. The issue you mention, force logging, is the only place where there could in theory be an impact on performance, Even that can be prevented with proper configuration of your redo logs. I have never, however, seen dataguard have a noticeable impact on performance.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:57 AM, Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de> wrote:

> Hey Jack,
> you may want to have a look at this white paper: http://www.oracle.com/
> technetwork/database/availability/maa-wp-10gr2-
> dataguardnetworkbestpr-134557.pdf
>
> It is about Oracle 10g and there have some enhancements in the meantime
> but it includes impact analysis / results.
>
> Best Regards
> Stefan Koehler
>
> Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher
> Website: http://www.soocs.de
> Twitter: _at_OracleSK
>
> > Jack van Zanen <jack_at_vanzanen.com> hat am 14. November 2017 um 04:21
> geschrieben:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone had done any testing on the overhead of
> Dataguard on the primary system?
> >
> > We would like to setup dataguard for one of our systems and the business
> can most likely not accept a performance degredation of the nightly batch
> job.
> >
> > Now I understand that we have to turn on force logging and depending on
> the amount of nologging that is happening in the batch this could be a
> considerable overhead, I am just wondering besides this what the impacts
> are in maximum performance and maximum availability and maximum protection
> mode. I can turn on force logging without having to set up dataguard.
> >
> > Let's assume for now that the network can keep up with the changes.....
> >
> > Jack van Zanen

Andrew W. Kerber