RE: [OffTopic] Curiosity about vision of the future for dba oracle ...

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:49:20 -0500

I believe you are both correct to a certain extent from distinct viewpoints.

Cloud vendors might well through hardware at a problem to charge higher total fees until some critical process is of the variety that cannot be "hardwared out of" sufficiently to be accepted. Then the last remaining bastion of full service experience DBAs comes into play and the most resource consumptive and elongated response time bits of the software and hardware stack are corrected.

So will demand for doing things well drop over time?

I don't know and I believe it is difficult to project solution spaces for the simultaneous equation including variables of at least:

1) Overall hardware capabilities including, but not limited to, reducing memory into cpu lag time and effectiveness of parallelism from the system to the application interface
2) Total demand for computer horsepower
3) Total demand for reduced elapsed time of very complex problems where a mistake in choosing the solution path can vary by orders of magnitude.
4) Relative improvements over time in the underlying software to avoid costly mistake in choosing the solution path
5) Network latency and bandwidth versus the demand to collate data from a variety of sources on the fly into a useful aggregation.

I probably have left out more than I have included.

I believe the solution is to plan to be very good at what you do from an axiomatic approach so that you understand the fundamentals and can shift the application of your skills as needed or compete for the possibly dwindling open seats for "database operator" folks who we count amongst DBAs.

That prediction I think CAN be made: User interfaces to operational tools will improve in the sense of becoming less and the things that are tedious and only require somewhat complex automation will be cheaper to do with machines, so those job seats are in peril.