Re: [OffTopic] Curiosity about vision of the future for dba oracle ...

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:31:45 -0500

On 11/11/2017 10:49 AM, Mark W. Farnham wrote:
> I believe you are both correct to a certain extent from distinct viewpoints.
>
> Cloud vendors might well through hardware at a problem to charge higher total fees until some critical process is of the variety that cannot be "hardwared out of" sufficiently to be accepted. Then the last remaining bastion of full service experience DBAs comes into play and the most resource consumptive and elongated response time bits of the software and hardware stack are corrected.

I fully agree with the statement above.

> So will demand for doing things well drop over time?

My understanding from the proverbial "word on the street" is that it already has dropped, and dropped significantly.  The need for DBA skills is only needed if working for an application vendor or remote DBA company like Pythian.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant