RE: Question - FLB (flashback log) files - odd location

From: Ruel, Chris <Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 17:49:29 +0000

How are you checking your db_recovery_file_dest?

If it was changed like this:

alter system set db_recovery_file_dest='/data1' scope = spfile;

and you check it like this:

select * from v$spparameter where name = 'db_recovery_file_dest';

You will see the new location, not the current location since you changed it in the spfile and not in the running instance.

I suspect you already knew this, but, it’s the only thing I can think of that would show a discrepancy.

Chris..

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator * Lincoln Financial Group cruel_at_lfg.com<mailto:cruel_at_lfg.com> * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Chris Taylor Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:16 PM To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Question - FLB (flashback log) files - odd location

***This email is from an external source. Only open links and attachments from a Trusted Sender.*** I've been hunting and coming up empty on this.

We have our database parameter "db_recovery_file_dest" set to PathA yet we have the database writing additional FLB files to PathB.

I cannot figure out why there are FLB files getting written to PathB - there's no parameter pointed to PathB. Is a way that an object could be setup to specifically write flashback logs to a different location? I've tried querying DBA_SOURCE but I don't see any references to PathB.

I'm really puzzled by this behavior. There is no alter system statements occurring to change the flashback location so why would Oracle choose to write to a different path?

We have used PathB in the past to hold flashback logs but these appear to be new files being written to the old path.

Regards,
Chris

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**