Re: tmon

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:32:28 -0400

Hi!

I prefer v$bgprocess to X$ tables, primarily because I can query it from any user, not just SYS

For TMON v$bgprocess says the following:

    SQL> select name,type, description from v$bgprocess where lower(name)        2  like '%tmon%';

    NAME  TYPE  DESCRIPTION

  • -----
    TMON        Transport Monitor

    Elapsed: 00:00:00.00
    SQL> The x$ksbtabact table gives the following result:

    select PROCESS_NAME_KSBTABACT as PNAME, ACTION_DESCRIPTION_KSBTABACT     as ACTIONS

       2  from X$KSBTABACT
       3  where lower(PROCESS_NAME_KSBTABACT) like '%tmon%';

    PNAME

    ACTIONS

    TMON
    KSB action for X-instance calls

    TMON
    KSB action for bast checking

    TMON
    generic shutdown background

    TMON
    ksim instance group membership notifier

    TMON
    KSB action for ksbxic() calls

    TMON
    enter / exit graph test specified wait

    TMON
    Monitor Cleanup

    TMON
    svr actn for shrd grp reg/dereg

    TMON
    attach processes to dlm

    TMON
    init function for LCK1

    TMON
    check for KJCI cross-instance requests

    TMON
    KJBFP pbr logFile CLose

    TMON
    Monitor initialization

    TMON
    Monitor wakeup

    TMON
    Scumnt mount lock

    TMON
    Poll system events broadcast channel

    TMON
    database close in progress

    17 rows selected.

    Elapsed: 00:00:00.00
    SQL> The v$bgprocess gives me the idea what the process is about: monitoring my data guard configuration.  Unfortunately, such information can no longer be found at MOS.

On 09/18/2017 12:23 PM, Stefan Koehler wrote:
> Hello Nenad,
> just for completeness. There is a x$ table which lists all the actions/tasks regarding background processes.
>
> SQL> select PROCESS_NAME_KSBTABACT as PNAME, ACTION_DESCRIPTION_KSBTABACT as ACTIONS
> from X$KSBTABACT
> order by PNAME, ACTIONS;
>
> Best Regards
> Stefan Koehler
>
> Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher
> Website: http://www.soocs.de
> Twitter: _at_OracleSK
>
>> Noveljic Nenad <nenad.noveljic_at_vontobel.ch> hat am 18. September 2017 um 15:41 geschrieben:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What does the tmon background process do?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Nenad

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA