Re: Data Archiving

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 08:26:22 -0600

As part of the mandatory application of NIST standards in Federal Government IT, we are "supposed" to have backups of our data at an off-site location, defined as somewhere at least 30 miles away. I used to also be in charge of several IT systems and had to go through the paperwork exercise each year, but I was always honest and answered this and many similar questions with a "No". However I am longer in charge of maintaining these documents for my systems anymore, so the person that does it now always answers "Yes" because he has a script to shutdown the virtual servers at night and then copies the virtual server file to a machine in the building next door.

Another part of the NIST mandated checklist I always answered with a "No", was the part about (something like) "is all of your computer equipment protected from possible water damage". I always pissed off management when I had to explain that while having my systems and equipment on the 2nd floor would negate most possible scenarios of water damage, I still could guarantee that if the fire sprinklers activated that the computers would not sustain water damage since I could not supply a bunch of tiny little umbrellas for each piece of equipment, and I couldn't verify with any engineers that the roof on our building would not get ripped off during a tornado or that one of the many pipes in our old, WWII building wouldn't break (again), and cause water damage to anything critical.

Bill Ferguson

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Ken Naim <kennethnaim_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Will do. I’ve started writing my own document based on my experience. I
> was hoping to find something to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I will
> share my document as well.
>

> Ken

-- Bill Ferguson