Re: Data Archiving

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 22:22:30 -0400

Hi Ken,
First of all, archiving in the same database doesn't make much sense. If anything happens to the original database, the archive is lost, too. Think hurricane Harvey or something of that nature. Many fine databases are sleeping with the fishes in and around Houston, TX. So what is the purpose of the archive? The purpose of an archive is twofold: 1) Preserve the data for posterity
2) Use the data for computing trends and correlations.

In other words your database archive is an ideal source of data for data warehouse. The right question is not where to atchive, but what should be the purpose of such an archive and how long would you need to keep the data around? Keeping the data around for a few years, to satisfy legal requirements, can be rather expensive. When you're keeping the data for long term preservation, you should at least make use of the data.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle Consultant
Tel:(347) 321-1217

On Sep 6, 2017 4:57 PM, "Ken Naim" <kennethnaim_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have a white paper or power point document on the pro's and con's of archiving data in place (same database) or in separate database. I've been searching and haven't found exactly what I need.

Thank you in advance,
Ken Naim

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Sep 07 2017 - 04:22:30 CEST

Original text of this message