Re: Database Archiving

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 19:46:27 -0400

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 17:32:25 -0400
Vishalaksha Vyas <vishalaksha_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on a database archiving project and using a tool that will
> handle the data transfer between source and target based on the rules and
> constraints specified. This tool is not for data life cycle management but
> just a handle to transfer the data.
>
> The tool will use the DB links to transfer the data between the source and
> archive database.
>
> Having said that I need some suggestions here in choosing a suitable option
> for archival database location.
>
> FYI: Oracle application is hosted by Oracle at a different location.
> Servers are *not *on-premise.
>
> Options are:
>
> 1. Source and target on the same database. Target (archive) database is
> nothing but would be a different schema in the same database. Basically, we
> will select the data from the different application schemas and will put
> into the archive schema in the same database.
>
> 2.Preferred solution: Same server for both source and target but both will
> be on different databases. Data will be moved from source database to
> archive database and both the databases will sit on the same server.
>
> 3. Least preferred solution:- Source on one database server and archive
> database on a different server out of the Oracle virtual network. Archive
> database will be on-premise. Expecting large delays for data transfer
> because of the two server locations.
>

> There are pros and cons of these options and I want the expert advice here
> if anyone has experience in this area. Any other suggestions for database
> archiving are also welcome.
>

> Thanks & Regards
> Vishalaksha Vyas

Hi Vyas,
Commvault 11 has the archiving agent which fits your description, the way I understood it. The details are available here: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=products/oracle_archiving/overview_archive.htm Please let me know if I can help you in any other way. Bear in mind, I am a techie and the words like "price" or "license" are not really in my domain. Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA