Database Archiving

From: Vishalaksha Vyas <vishalaksha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 17:32:25 -0400

Hi,

I am working on a database archiving project and using a tool that will handle the data transfer between source and target based on the rules and constraints specified. This tool is not for data life cycle management but just a handle to transfer the data.

The tool will use the DB links to transfer the data between the source and archive database.

Having said that I need some suggestions here in choosing a suitable option for archival database location.

FYI: Oracle application is hosted by Oracle at a different location. Servers are *not *on-premise.

Options are:

  1. Source and target on the same database. Target (archive) database is nothing but would be a different schema in the same database. Basically, we will select the data from the different application schemas and will put into the archive schema in the same database.

2.Preferred solution: Same server for both source and target but both will be on different databases. Data will be moved from source database to archive database and both the databases will sit on the same server.

3. Least preferred solution:- Source on one database server and archive database on a different server out of the Oracle virtual network. Archive database will be on-premise. Expecting large delays for data transfer because of the two server locations.

There are pros and cons of these options and I want the expert advice here if anyone has experience in this area. Any other suggestions for database archiving are also welcome.

Thanks & Regards
Vishalaksha Vyas