Re: Grid agent and CPU

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 18:51:29 -0400

On 06/24/2017 08:14 PM, Orlando L wrote:
> Is it that way in all platforms such as Linux, Solaris, etc? If so,
> do people take that into consideration while architecting their
> servers. Reason I am asking is that this is not the first time we are
> facing this issue.

Hi Orlando,
The agent running is running Java programs and Perl scripts. Java is created for portability, using the "write once, debug everywhere" motto. Problem with such portable solution is that they are using CPU, and a lot of it. The same thing applies to my favorite monitoring tool, Nagios. Nagios executes Perl scripts on the target databases and is, consequently, using a lot of CPU. At one point in my career, I wrote a monitoring tool in PHP, running under Apache web server. However, I am no longer maintaining it. The only way to control the tool is to write one yourself. These days, it's no longer that hard.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA