Re: Grid agent and CPU

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 10:50:34 -0500

On 2017/06/24 04:17, Orlando L wrote:

> We had some prod servers with grid/cloud agents installed, but realized that they were a significant Cpu hog in that they were consuming 20-30% of the cycles in some AIX LPARs with 4-8 cores consistently. I am talking non stop for hours, days and weeks. Talking to support did not help us much except 'apply a patch' which did not help.
>
> After lots of internet search, it looks like this seems to be an issue with several tools and specifically grid agent. Do the listers plan for a certain amount of CPU during architecture phase for monitoring

Which version of the Agent are you running? The only metric on my 12.1.0.5 Agents on AIX 7.1 that I have that takes any noticeable CPU time is a custom one I created to inspect a largish V$BH. And I only collect that every 10 minutes, so the overhead is manageable for me. This is on a database server with 4 logical CPUs in an LPAR with an SMT-4 configuration.

Support should be able to help you determine what's causing the CPU usage. As has already been mentioned, review any metrics that are being collected every minute. You may also want to check the Agent's logs and trace files (e.g. gcagent.log), although weeding through the "usual" Java errors and what may be an out-of-the-ordinary error may take some work.

GL!

Rich