Re: Application upgrade with Data Guard

From: Jeremy Schneider <schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 16:07:34 -0400

On Wed, 24 May 2017 17:12:25 +0000 Terrian, Thomas wrote:
> We have a Data Guarded database. We need to upgrade the
> application that uses it. How can we upgrade the application with
> the least amount of downtime? I assume that the application upgrade
> will update some of its tables.

Application upgrades will have to involve the application, there's no way around it. The developers absolutely need to help figure out the process.

There are lots of ways to approach upgrades without downtime. If you haven't looked at Edition-Based Redefinition, maybe start there. I don't know that data guard gives you any particular advantage. Even as a last-resort rollback strategy, flashback database with a guaranteed restore point would probably be a bit better than DG.

-J

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider

##
RANDOM
   1. adjective. Unpredictable (closest to mathematical definition);
weird. "The SYSTEM's been behaving pretty randomly".
   2. Assorted; various; undistinguished; uninteresting. "Who was at
the conference?" "Just a bunch of random business types".
   3. Frivolous; unproductive; undirected. "He's just a random
LOSER".
   4. Incoherent or inelegant; not well organized. "The program has a
random set of MISFEATURES". "That's a random name for that function".
"Well, all the names were chosen pretty randomly".
   5. Gratuitously wrong; poorly done and for no good apparent
reason. "This subroutine randomly uses six registers where two would
have sufficed".
   6. In no particular order, though deterministic. "The I/O channels
are in a pool, and when a file is opened one is chosen randomly".
   7. noun. A random hacker. This is used particularly of high school
students who soak up computer time and generally get in the way. The
term "high school random" is frequently heard.
   8. One who lives at Random Hall at MIT.
   J. RANDOM is often prefixed to a noun to make a "name" out of it
(by analogy to common names such as "J. Fred Muggs"). It means roughly
"some particular" or "any specific one". The most common uses are "J.
Random Loser" and "J. Random Nerd". Example: "Should J. Random Loser be
allowed to delete system files without warning?"

- The Hacker's Dictionary (Steele-1983)