Re: Application upgrade with Data Guard

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 14:51:19 -0500

I am not sure how you would do it. In theory, you could bring the standby on line and make changes there, but anything happening on the primary doing that time would be lost. You could do validation testing by converting it to a snapshot standby, making the app changes and testing it, then reverting back. But I think for an upgrade you are going to end up with some downtime while the upgrade runs no matter what you do.

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Terrian, Thomas J CTR DLA INFO OPERATIONS (US) <Tom.Terrian.ctr_at_dla.mil> wrote:

> I assume this is an easy problem but I am having problems figuring it
> out. We have a Data Guarded database. We need to upgrade the application
> that uses it. How can we upgrade the application with the least amount of
> downtime? I assume that the application upgrade will update some of its
> tables. Seems like we could use some combination of the primary and stand
> by databases.

Andrew W. Kerber