Re: RAC 12.2 - singleton service balancing

From: Martin Klier - Performing Databases GmbH <martin.klier_at_performing-db.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 16:26:05 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

unfortunately I have made a wrong assumption in my last mail:

" In admin managed databases/services I could set a preferred node, and the service would always return to this node, as soon as it is available again." Thats simply wrong, even with a preferred node set, the admin managed service will NOT jump back:

from the 2-day RAC Guide: If a service fails over to an available instance, then the service is not moved back to its preferred instance automatically. However, you can automate the relocation of a service to its preferred instance by using a callout. For more information about callouts, see "About FAN Callouts". An example callout script for relocating services back to their preferred instances is available on Oracle Technology Network at: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/twpracwkldmgmt-132994.pdf (Thanks Troy for the hint and the link!)

My newly found "solution" for admin managed databases is simpler, though unsupported, and works like a charm:

<use at your own risk>
srvctl add service -db mydb -service myservice -preferred mynode1 -available mynode2 crsctl modify res ora.mydb.myservice.svc -attr "PLACEMENT=favored,ACTIVE_PLACEMENT=1,CHECK_INTERVAL=1,RELOCATE_KIND=offline,SERVER_POOLS=*,HOSTING_MEMBERS=mynode1" -unsupported </use at your own risk>

I love CRS - it can do more than Oracle wants. :)

--
Martin Klier | Performing Databases GmbH
Managing Partner | Senior DB Consultant

martin.klier_at_performing-db.com | http://www.performing-databases.com