RE: Oracle DBA to SQL Server DBA?

From: Noveljic Nenad <nenad.noveljic_at_vontobel.ch>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 16:16:16 +0000

Originally, I come from the Oracle/Unix world, but over the years I acquired the SQL Server Knowledge as well. Currently, I'm responsible for both database technologies in the company I work for and I see more and more 3rd party applications - even mission critical ones - being developed for SQL Server. Furthermore, a lot of developers and power users appreciate the Microsoft BI products. I also like a seamless integration of the SQL Server with the Active Directory which take all of the burden of user administration away from the DBA. Moreover, Powershell is a powerful scripting language which can be used for automation of the DBA tasks. Last but not least, the stability of Windows massively improved in the last years.

However, the diagnostic and tracing possibilities in SQL Server/Windows don't compare to those in Oracle/Unix. There are definitely limitations to how deep you can do troubleshooting in this environment. People used to Dtrace, memory dumps, etc. might become frustrated when trying to analyze complex problems. Though, this might improve in the future if SQL Server on Linux becomes a common setup.

In my opinion, both technologies have its place and therefore I see SQL Server as an enrichment of my skillset. Hence, I also encourage my employees to acquire knowledge and gather experience in both technologies.

Nenad Noveljic

Twitter: _at_NenadNoveljic
Web site:
http://nenadnoveljic.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Neil Chandler Sent: Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2017 01:14
To: Oracle - L
Subject: Re: Oracle DBA to SQL Server DBA?

Having used Oracle for 25 years and SQL Server for over 15 years, I can say that the DBA jobs are usually somewhat different.

  • Oracle tends to be a more pure DBA role
  • SQL Server tends to require a greater level of development work, usually in the areas of T-SQL, SSIS (data integration) and SSRS (report writing)

Financially, Oracle tends to pay more, but that may just be a factor of my skills in Oracle (and the fact I don't go for pure SQL Server-based clients).

In terms of managablility, there's a lot less to do in SQL Server - this is both a strength and a weakness. Loads of DBA-stuff in SQL is so much easier to do than Oracle. It's mainly because there are a lot fewer configurable parameters and a much simpler architecture. If SQL Server is a graphic equaliser on your home music kit, Oracle is a recording studio. In the right hands, Oracle can do even more amazing things than SQL Server and is more scalable with better HA and DR - but at a price with a level of technological complexity that is mind boggling. I'd be happy scaling SQL Server over the 100TB range though (although I've never personally gone beyond 16TB on SQL)

SQL Server EE cost is peanuts in comparison to Oracle EE - especially now that you don't even need to license Dev environments, but still significant compared to MySQL/MariaDB/PostGres/etc

I could write essays on this but its late and one need to be careful to avoid religious issues in relation to different RDBMS's. Pick the one that's appropriate for your application and business need. They all have strengths - don't store the favourites for your website in Oracle EE when MongoDB will do very well for that, thanks.

regards

Neil Chandler (OCP/MCP/MCTS/stuff like that)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>> on behalf of peter.sharman_at_westnet.com.au<mailto:peter.sharman_at_westnet.com.au> <peter.sharman_at_westnet.com.au<mailto:peter.sharman_at_westnet.com.au>> Sent: 04 January 2017 21:15
To: dramirezr_at_gmail.com<mailto:dramirezr_at_gmail.com>; orahawk_at_gmail.com<mailto:orahawk_at_gmail.com> Cc: Oracle - L

I agree, the move to Linux for SQL Server is (to me, anyway) a real game changer for Microsoft. Over the past x number of years (pick your favourite number for x!), Oracle has come out with more and more fantastic technology that has been of use to less and less people. Don't get me wrong, I still think Oracle has the best database technology on the planet. But honestly, how many people use that really cool stuff? How many of you are using Oracle functionality that wasn't there in Oracle 7? Probably quite a few, but in today's cost restricted world, most people are going to find {insert your favourite non-Oracle RDBMS here} is good enough. In the case of SQL Server, its real killer was it was Windoze only. Now as it moves into the Linux space, Oracle Corporation (the company, not the technology) will have to come up with a real game changer in reply. And unfortunately, their answer so far (Can you say "cloud"? There, I knew you could!) has not been good enough to take on anyone.

Let the flames begin! :)

Pete

On 4 January 2017 at 05:01, Dragutin Jastrebic <orahawk_at_gmail.com<mailto:orahawk_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

Hello List,

Since recently they were 2 similar discussions

https://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Oracle-DBA-to-PostGreSQL-DBA

https://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/OT-Job-Posts,6

I would like to start this one and hear your opinions about it.

Dragutin

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses E-Mail drucken.

<head>
</head>