RE: tnsnames

From: Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 16:50:18 +0000

I was going thru the vendor’s doc to see if I overlooked anything and the doc states that it does not make use of the tnsnames file on the client. I’ve tried the server host name, the server ip address and still nothing. I’ve set it up identical to the test machine other than changing the server name and instance name, even using the same userid and password. The only difference is that production uses Serviceguard. We are running oracle 11gR2 on HPUX.

Brian

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hans Forbrich Sent: Monday, January 09, 2017 11:43 AM To: Noveljic Nenad; 'troach_at_gmail.com' Cc: Oracle Discussion List
Subject: Re: tnsnames

And yet another:

Sadly Brian does not mention versions of anything. If Oracle Networking (SQLNet) client is involved, there may be a version mismatch. My Oracle Support has a number of decent articles on Client/Server Interoperability, Client and Application Failover, RMAN compatibility.

I often go to My Oracle Support and search for "Client Matrix" to get the latest info.

/Hans

On 2017-01-09 8:01 AM, Noveljic Nenad wrote: Another guess: do you have $ in either username or password? Maybe the part of the connect string gets interpreted as a shell variable by the monitoring script.

Nenad Noveljic

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Roach Sent: Montag, 9. Januar 2017 15:56
To: <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com><mailto:fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com> Cc: Oracle Discussion List

Could your database be checking for case sensitive passwords? What you are typing in is different from the way the app sends the credentials?

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com<mailto:fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>> wrote: You indicate this is a 3rd party product. Their documentation or user asssitance should spell out the details.

Some things that come to mind:
- you are providing a normal user authentication and they use SYSxyz (or vice versa)

  • they use TNSNAMES.ora and their local copy has not been updated or is wrong
  • there is a mismatch between what they send and what you get from 'lsnrctl status'

The list can go on endlessly,but these are some of the more common points I've run across /Hans

On 2017-01-09 7:26 AM, Zelli, Brian wrote: Ok, I have a monitoring product that I am trying to connect to an oracle instance. In test it works great. The monitoring product needs the server-name, the instance-name and port with a userid/password.

In production, we use HP Serviceguard for HA/failover capabilities. So there is a hierarchy of service name for both servers and service name for each server.

So:
proddb.company.org<http://proddb.company.org> is the hierarchy name, proddb01.company.org<http://proddb01.company.org> proddb02.company.org<http://proddb02.company.org> (currently the primary server)

When I put in server-name(either proddb or proddb02) , instance-name, port and userid/password, it doesn’t fail the monitor verification but I get an error saying that it is an invalid userid/password.

I tested the userid and password right on the server and it works fine.

I tried it in several different combinations and sometimes it fails verification right away saying ORA-12154:TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified So I get that part knowing some combinations are definitely wrong. But what is confusing is when it passes verification but can’t connect. And again, I have tested the userid and password, so it’s not that.

Any ideas?

Brian

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.

--
Thomas Roach
813-404-6066

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses E-Mail drucken.

Important Notice

This message is intended only for the individual named. It may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the named addressee you should in particular not disseminate, distribute, modify or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, if you have received this message by mistake and delete it from your system.

E-mail transmission may not be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete. Also processing of incoming e-mails cannot be guaranteed. All liability of the Vontobel Group and its affiliates for any damages resulting from e-mail use is excluded. You are advised that urgent and time sensitive messages should not be sent by e-mail and if verification is required please request a printed version.