Re: Oracle License

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:54:53 -0400

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 09:40:17 -0500 Chris Taylor wrote:
> Sorry I meant the License Agreement you agree to when you download the
> software versus the Usage specified in the Oracle 11g and 12c docs
> for the software. Those appear to be in conflict as far as scope.

Ok that makes more sense.

But still, I'm not sure whether the online docs actually mean anything if they are not referenced by the License Agreement you click and if they are not part of the software package you download.

The GPL has very specific instructions that you must distribute the license with your software. Some software is distributed under multiple conflicting license arrangements to different parties. The author might license one user under a BSD license and another user under a commercial license. As long as they own all the source code, they can do this.

Similarly, Oracle software is distributed to some users under an OTN license and to other users under a particular contract. So the software itself doesn't have a license inherent to it - it's all about the terms under which you acquired the software from Oracle.

I hear what you're saying about broader rights applying in the case of a conflict, I'm just skeptical that when Oracle posts a document to their website - even with "license" in the document name - this makes it legally binding. I guess this is what real lawyers are for...

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider

##
Sysadmin and editors. The holy wars of UNIX.

	- Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel