Re: Is nfs reliable?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 14:37:21 -0600

Matt,

I respectfully disagree; there is indeed an easy answer.

First, the term "reliable" is ambiguous and must be clarified before engaging in a meaningful discussion. In this discussion, I believe the term "reliable" is not defined as the "absence of failure", but instead as "loss-less transmission of data", with "loss-less" meaning "complete and accurate".

TCP and UDP are alternative protocols residing at layer 4 (transport) of the 7-layer OSI model <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model>. The first three layers of the OSI model define the hardware carrier, structure, framing, addressing, and routing of data, and it is at the transport layer that the branch between loss-less and loss-y session protocols is implemented.

NFS is implemented at level 7 (application) of the model, and so the question of "reliability" (as I believe we are discussing it) has been resolved several layers down.

In any context (analog, digital, or human), "reliable" never means "perfect". Error, loss, and corruption is always possible for a myriad of reasons, applying equally to any protocol. TCP is "loss-less" by design, but no design is absolutely perfect.

Hope this helps!

-Tim