RE: Is nfs reliable?

From: Matt <mvshelton_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 15:17:46 -0400

I do not think there is an easy answer whether or not nfs mounts are reliable. IT depends upon your organization infrastructe teams. I have worked at organizations were my nfs mounts were completely unreliable. My current organization I cannot remember the last time I have had an issue with my nfs mounts.

Thanks, Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Robert Freeman Sent: Friday, June 3, 2016 1:31 PM
To: Michael Cunningham
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists org
Subject: RE: Is nfs reliable?

I would not have an issue with monitoring scripts… However, anything diagnostic or the like I’d keep on local storage…

From: Michael Cunningham [mailto:napacunningham_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 11:30 AM
To: Robert Freeman <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com> Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Is nfs reliable?

Robert, how would you feel about having a library of monitoring scripts on an nfs mount? I do this so that scripts are available on every Oracle server. I also backup config files, etc. to this mount making it easy for me to scan, in a single directory, something like all cron backup files to see where something is running. It's these things why I feel the nfs mount serves a great benefit. And many others...

Michael

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Robert Freeman <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com> wrote:

Mike,

We Run our RAC databases using NFS as the shared media for datafiles. We have yet to have a failure because of NFS. We don’t use shared software directories however, just local directories.

My personal preference is for local software.

RF

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Michael Cunningham Sent: Friday, June 03, 2016 12:02 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Is nfs reliable?

I had someone tell me today that nfs should not be relied on and it should not be used for a shared mount that needed to be reliably available.

Has anyone ever hear this before?

--

Michael Cunningham

--