Re: Clone tool

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 19:49:33 -0400

The term "self-service" is a marketing term without much meaning, if any at all. With Commvault, anyone can clone the database, given the appropriate privileges. Privileges can be assigned by the Commvault administrator. Even at a gas station you need a credit card for "self service". Having a credit card is a privilege and very far from being universal, at that.
Also, I am not sure that the original topic included marketing of the products and doing feature by feature comparison. In my opinion, that part is not appropriate for this group. I also try not to push the products of my employer through this list. Refraining from marketing avoids awkward situations like this one. After all, I am a computer geek, not a sales person.

On 4/25/2016 9:36 AM, Tim Gorman wrote:
> Steve Karam, Kyle Hailey, and I are contributors to this list who are
> also employees of Delphix.
>
> Back to the original topic, would you explain what "self-service
> capability" means?
>

> On 4/25/16 05:51, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>> On 04/24/2016 11:18 PM, Tim Gorman wrote:
>>> Assuming a definition of "self-service capability" as "management of
>>> a separation of duties", that sounds like a "no" for CommVault.
>>
>> Only if you are adopting extremely simplistic interpretation, to the
>> point of silliness.
>>

>>> In contrast, Oracle Snapclone provides self-service provisioning
>>> through a service catalog of templates
>>> <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/cloud-mgmt/em-snapclone-2267372.html>,
>>> and different accounts have a separation of duties (i.e. some
>>> accounts can create templates, other accounts can only clone from
>>> templates, etc), but there are others on this list who can explain
>>> this much more capably than I.
>>>
>>> As far as Delphix is concerned, its main user-interface enables DBAs
>>> to do everything, but the Delphix JetStream
>>> <https://docs.delphix.com/display/DOCS41/Getting+Started+with+Jet+Stream>
>>> user-interface is provided to be used by developers, QA testers,
>>> project leads, and other non-DBAs to manage what has already been
>>> provisioned.
>>>
>> Tim, I am a Commvault employee. Are you by any chance a Delphix
>> reseller or are you making money by pushing Delphix?
>> Regards
>> --
>> Mladen Gogala
>> Oracle DBA
>> http://mgogala.freehostia.com

Mladen Gogala
Oracle Consultant
http://mgogala.freehostia.com

DISCLAIMER: I am solely responsible for any opinion expressed in this email