Re: Clone tool

From: Steve Karam <oraclealchemist_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 21:06:59 -0400

Full disclosure: I am a Delphix employee and have been watching from the sidelines but ran out of popcorn.

Mladen, this is getting kind of “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” isn’t it?

The original question was: "I would like to Know from your experience what you do for cloning a large database(10TB) fastly ? iam using duplicate or restore with RMAN but it takes too much time !.”

Tim is a well respected, long time member of this group. His knowledge in Oracle topics and the myriad tools out there is unquestionable. He works at Delphix because Delphix likes to hire people with these qualities, just like any other company. And thus from his experience what does he do for cloning a large database (10TB)? He uses, and helps companies use, Delphix. That’s the whole basis behind the platform. And simply putting it out there is not marketing. The fact that Kyle and I are also Delphix employees isn’t marketing, it’s where we work, and where we started working long after we became members of the Oracle community.

Since this topic began, we’ve been treated to several Commvault whitepapers, loads of information about what Commvault can and can’t do (it can back up email, it can back up HANA, it has Oracle Archiving, it has snapshots, it slices, it dices!), loads of assumptions about what Delphix can’t do, assertions that everything Delphix says are marketing terms, and assertions that Tim did some sort of feature by feature comparison.

Look….if someone had come on and said “how can I find the latch holding up my SQL statement” and Tim came back and said “You can use Delphix’s patended Data Virtualization Engine (R) to instantly provision Virtual Databases in near real time for a variety of platforms, then perform mission critical QA and Performance Testing 10x faster achieving a 150% ROI” I’d be right behind you and mercilessly make fun of Tim at our next all hands call. But that’s not what happened. Someone asked for a tool that can clone a 10TB database quickly. Delphix can clone a 10TB database in a few minutes. Other products can too and I’d expect people with knowledge of those products to speak up and tell us about it. End of story.