Re: Moveing to Linux for Windows - Choose Oracle Linux?

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 13:58:19 -0500

I can't think of any reason not to. In fact, in your position, with noone that has any pre-conceived notions or prejudices, I'd definitiely recommend ORacle Linux.

Mainly, because of the following:

  • Oracle optimized UEK (Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel)
  • availability of preinstall package (oracle-rdbms-server-12cR1-preinstall) to very quickly set up almost all prerequisites in one easy step
    • ASMLib kernel module is built in to UEK, and Other ASMLib pacakages available via yum.

It's my preferred distribution for Oracle server systems.

-Mark