Re: Moveing to Linux for Windows - Choose Oracle Linux?

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 08:53:37 -0700

On 11/12/2015 11:58 AM, Mark J. Bobak wrote:
> I can't think of any reason not to. In fact, in your position, with
> noone that has any pre-conceived notions or prejudices, I'd
> definitiely recommend ORacle Linux.
>
> Mainly, because of the following:
>
> - Oracle optimized UEK (Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel)
> - availability of preinstall package
> (oracle-rdbms-server-12cR1-preinstall) to very quickly set up almost
> all prerequisites in one easy step
> - ASMLib kernel module is built in to UEK, and Other ASMLib pacakages
> available via yum.

For me, on the tech side, the idea of KSplice is a MAJOR benefit. Since it is included in the Oracle Linux Premier Support (as is OEM), the concept of zero-downtime security and kernel patching is very appealing.

http://www.ksplice.com/

I'd encourage looking at that, to possibly extending your list.

/Hans