RE: Rollback via Fast Recovery Area - Oracle 11g

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:46:47 -0400

That is the part that is handled by cross edition triggers. Which, as Ram noted, could become complex for some changes and which might be unneeded overhead when being able to do approval changes with interruptions for service and it is okay to throw away transaction made during the approval window.

Rolling back to a restore point seems like an easier route for iterative proposals in a development environment while EBR shines most brightly for non-stop production upgrades and improvements.

When a database change is required, as perhaps with virtual columns, between the “old” and the “new” doing it via EBR and cross edition triggers has the salutary reward for the extra effort not only of facilitating non-stop production actuation, but also of deeply understanding the changes being made.

My friend Connor expressed this very well here, together with a useful follow-up comment from Bryn:

http://www.oaktable.net/content/edition-based-redefinition-%E2%80%93-apology

mwf

From: Eriovaldo Andrietta [mailto:ecandrietta_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:21 AM
To: Mark W. Farnham
Cc: Ramsankar Cheruvattath; ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Rollback via Fast Recovery Area - Oracle 11g

Mark,

The Edition-Based Redefinition is about DDL and not DML.

There is a step that change data via DML commands in the database.

I also need to rollback data.

Regards

Eriovaldo

I’m not sure what you mean by “attend completely.”

Perhaps you can describe what cannot be accomplished with EBR that you are trying to accomplish.

mwf

From: Eriovaldo Andrietta [mailto:ecandrietta_at_gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 10:42 AM
To: Mark W. Farnham
Cc: ram.cheruvattath_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L

Mark,

I did some tests with this resource as described in the link below, but it does not attend completely.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/testcontent/o10asktom-172777.html

Regards

Eriovaldo

AND, for the purpose you describe Oracle has provided Edition Based Redefinition.

I *think* that is the future.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ram Cheruvattath Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:58 AM
To: ecandrietta_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L

If all you want to do is flashback to a specific restore point, there is no need to set flashback logging on at the database level. A guaranteed restore point is all you need. There should be no need to shutdown the database to enable flashback logging.

Ram