RE: Convert (Migrate?) GI/HAS to GI RAC

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 06:49:52 -0400

It is my impression that HAS and GI can't coexist together.

From the docs.

You can neither install Oracle Restart on an Oracle Grid Infrastructure cluster member node, nor add an Oracle Restart server to an Oracle Grid Infrastructure cluster member node. Oracle Restart supports single-instance databases on one server, while Oracle Grid Infrastructure for a Cluster supports single-instance or Oracle RAC databases on a cluster. If you want to use Oracle ASM or Oracle Restart, then you must install Oracle Grid Infrastructure for a standalone server before you install and create the database. Otherwise, you must manually register the database with Oracle Restart. Oracle Restart is used in single-instance (nonclustered) environments only.

This all sounds too messy to even contemplate. If you can get one server, why not two? Install GI and RAC to those servers and then clone and convert from the existing to the new.

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:48:00 -0500
Subject: Convert (Migrate?) GI/HAS to GI RAC From: david.barbour1_at_gmail.com
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Oracle 11.2.0.3 RHEL x86-64 6.4
We've got a standalone server running Grid Infrastructure HAS and ASM. I have been given a second server and the goal is to combine the two into a two -node RAC. Has anyone gone through this? I can't seem to find any relevant documentation, but it may be my search terms. I'm concerned about the databases and ASM diskgroups running on the existing server. The current ASM DB is +ASM, and I'm going to end up with +ASM1 and +ASM2. The disks are zoned to both servers, and we've got disk for an ACFS filesystem to create Voting Disks and to place the OCR. The ASM_DISKSTRING will remain the same. Here's what I'm thinking:(After backing up everything!) 1. Shut down all the databases, listeners, ASM and HAS on the existing server.2. Install Grid Infrastructure - RAC - in new $ORACLE_HOME.3. Configure RAC 4. Use srvctl to add the databases. I can either migrate these to RAC or leave them as standalone for now and convert them later. Although this is a collection of dev/test databases, folks get upset if they log in. I can convert these at odd times or during off hours as the situation permits. It's steps 3 & 4 where it gets fuzzy - particularly 4. I do not have any place to test any of this. And I only get one shot at it. Any insight would be appreciated.