Re: Hard Partitioning and Standard Edition

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 09:50:11 -0400

There's a good chance that they ALWAYS needed to run Enterprise Edition, at least under the strictest terms of the OLSA.

The trouble (as I recall it) with most p-series equipment is that when you "upgrade" from 4 to 8 sockets, no new hardware is actually added. (Well, that's what I remember to be the case with P5, anyway. I'm not sure about more recent stuff.) The "maximum capacity" of the server was probably *always* more than 4 sockets, even before the upgrade.

Oracle has traditionally made allowances for "capacity-on-demand" schemes like this, I think, but I have never seen language to directly support such allowances in the license agreement. When push comes to shove, nothing (aside from good business sense) compels Oracle to honour such a policy. Unless, of course, your corporate lawyers are clever enough to get Oracle to amend the license agreement before you write a cheque.