Re: cross platform incremental backup on non exadata platform.

From: fairlie rego <fairlie_r_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 04:24:39 +0000

We have used this method to migrate a 20 odd TB database from Sparc Solaris to Exadata with a downtime of under 2 hours from 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 in 2012. i.e Without this method we would not be able to meet the outage window stipulated by the business However we hit quite a few issues (and we got fixes/workarounds for all of them) Please drop me an email on fairlie.rego_at_gmail.com if you have any specific questions  Fairlie Rego
Senior Oracle Consultant http://el-caro.blogspot.com/ M: +61 402 792 405

     On Wednesday, 18 March 2015, 3:42, max scalf <oracle.blog3_at_gmail.com> wrote:

 Thank you for the confirmation, i just wanted to make sure i was heading in right direction.   Also the note says it is applicable for 10g+, so i guess i will find out how 10.2.0.5 will work.   Thanks again.
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de> wrote:

Hi Max,
this note has changed and it is applicable for general Linux migrations now. I am just quoting from it.

"The source system may be any platform provided the prerequisites referenced and listed below for both platform and database are met. The destination system must be 64-bit Oracle Linux. The typical use case is expected to be migrating data from a big endian platform, such as IBM AIX, HP-UX, or Solaris SPARC, to 64-bit Oracle Linux, such as Oracle Exadata Database Machine running Oracle Linux."

As you can see the limitation is "destination system must be 64-bit Oracle Linux" nowadays. The previous phrase "The Cross Platform Incremental Backup procedure described in this document is currently supported only when the destination system is Oracle Exadata Database Machine." was removed.

… and yes the procedure works - it even worked before Oracle officially changed this MOS note. Martin Bach also did a webinar about this topic with a corresponding demo (without Exadata): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WOFjEDtLW8

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK