Re: Need advice on shell scrpting

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 16:03:25 -0500

There must still be more than a few platforms where bash is not available (by default). There are probably also more than a few where it can be optionally removed (e.g., to "harden" the system).

Sadly, lots of places won't let you install things like bash (or sometimes even ksh) in production environments, and those who are wise will forbid in development (most of) what is forbidden in production. If I had a dollar for every site I have been at where I was unable to install bash or ksh or emacs ... well, okay, I'd probably only have enough to buy a really good lunch. Still, though, that's enough for me to avoid building dependencies on "optional" shells.

Bash is a nice shell, though, with really nice capabilities. If I *knew* it would be reliably available, I'd probably use it more.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com