Re: EM access to developers

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:16:56 -0500

Don't confuse "knowledge" and "data", though.

OEM supplies a huge amount of "data", but "knowledge" only comes when you *understand* what it means.

I have no problem sharing the data with those who are able to understand it, or those who are willing to learn. I have no desire to grant OEM access to somebody who is likely to page me at 3AM reporting a Severity-One incident whose description is: "There is too much green in the OEM performance graph".

And yes, this *has* happened.

My reluctance to share OEM extends as much to managers as it does to developers. Perhaps more, actually. Its a great tool for those who understand what it does and what it tells you. But it can be dangerous in the hands of anybody else, even with "read-only" access.