Re: PowerVM Live Partition Mobility

From: Ls Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 15:14:59 +0100

Hi Mark

The mobility feature in PowerVM allows you move online a LPAR from a physical server to another, in my ignorance I think it's like vMotion in VMWare. Itself does not create or destroys VMs.

LPAR is a supported Hard Partitioning software, so the statement about Live Partition Mobility is sort of ambiguos, it's a feature which allows you to move a supported hard partitioning VM, i.e Live Partition Mobility is not a hard partitioning software, it just moves the VM. LPAR is a Power VM feature.

I am questioning is because if one have been using Live Partition Mobility since 2009 and suddently in 2013 you are asked to stop using it becase Oracle changes his licensing policy it's a intrusive move no? And it's not even a patitioning feature.

Thanks