Re: PowerVM Live Partition Mobility

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 17:48:58 +0100 (CET)

Hi Cheng,
unfortunately (or should i say luckily) i don't do Oracle license consulting for my clients, so i don't know how they worked out a solution for that introduced paragraph in 2013 (some of them are using that feature since end 2011 as far as i can remember). However they are still using IBM Power VM Live Partition Mobility, so they found a solution for that or are paying more right now.

You recently got that same issue with VMware as well, even it is not documented like the "IBM Power VM Live Partition Mobility" paragraph. Oracle has changed the license policy for Oracle products in a VMware infrastructure with version 5.1 or higher. Now you need to license the whole vCenter and not only the vCluster. This usually makes a huge licensing impact on the clients as only one vCenter is used for all vClusters.

Unfortunately the license article is in german only, but maybe interesting for the guys who are using Oracle in a VMware infrastructure: http://www.doag.org/home/aktuelle-news/article/oracle-aendert-lizenzierung-von-oracle-produkten-unter-vmware-vsphere-ab-version-51.html

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK