Re: OVM

From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:50:50 -0700

We use OVM at my company for training and other purposes, extensively enough that the uptime requirements (including for training) could warrant calling it a "quasi-production" environment. But that's not exactly a strong counter-case.

I suspect that "NO ONE uses it in production" is a reductive market share analysis, since OVM doesn't have as wide a footprint as, say, VMWare in production environments. The nice thing about that statement is that all you need is one customer to counter it; the annoying part is that as soon you have one, it'll be labelled with "yeah, but, that's just one (or two, or...)" ;-)

Your best bet to put together a counter-argument, in addition to gathering anecdotes here, is to reach out to Oracle to see if you can get some reference customers. There might even be some folks watching oracle-l who can put you in touch w/ the right people.