Re: Laptop Oracle exercises

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 11:38:53 -0700

Yes, that MAA environment might be an ultimate objective. Might be the justification for a solid, used, desktop such as a Precision 490 with 32GB RAM on eBay - I see a number for under USD$1500 and two refurbs there for USD$800

However, going from rusty to comfortable could be accomplished with 2-3 VMs on an 8GB machine, and I have given DataGuard (command line) seminars with 2 very small VMs on 4GB machines. On my 16GB MacBook Pro, I give demos with a Cloud Control VM and 3 operational VMs, for nearly everything except performance discussions.

For learning, Dell refurb Optiplex 755/760 Small Form Factor machines at roughly $150 (with online coupon) and a GB network - as I have in my lab - work nicely as well.

The point is, where there is a will ...

/Hans