Re: 3 par recovery manager for Oracle (HP Product)

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 11:51:01 -0700

On 09/01/2014 11:13 AM, Dba DBA wrote:
> anyone use this? Does it do anything useful? I can't tell much from
> the marketing.

No personal dealings with that product. I've found that most of these magical storage solutions do not understand
  • Oracle DBs tend to be large, as compared to the mindset of huge quantities of small files most backup tools handle;
  • Oracle DB blocks are (usually) made up of multiple disk blocks, and simply capturing the disk blocks does not guarantee DB block integrity;
  • they grab the temporary tablespace, which is throw-away and is often uncomfortably large, therefore possibly a waste of time to grab.

My approach is to ask the storage or backup vendor for white papers specifically related to Oracle [version] backup/snapshot tests. If they have those white papers, then look for the answers to those last-two specific problems.

If they can't provide white papers, my impression is they probably don't have experience.

/Hans