Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:25:38 -0800

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com> wrote:

> Because it is extra work and cost for little to no purpose in many shops.
> Jared said "there is no good reason not to" Uhh, to my mind that is not a
> "good reason to do it"

The assumption is being made that only for the catalog is recovery for production failures.

There is a fair amount of reporting and analysis that can be done from the repo that cannot be done from the controlfile.

  • data that is not retained in the controlfile
  • retention of data in the repo can be longer.

Another useful thing for repos:

If your company archives data of site via NetBackup vaulting, or something similar,
good luck restoring a quarterly backup from last year without a catalog.

It can be done, but it is much simpler if the metadata is retained in the RMAN catalog.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Sr Oracle DBA at Pythian
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com