Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:21:45 -0800

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com> wrote:

> A repository adds complexity and an unnecessary dependence.

I am not sure I understand just what you mean by dependence.

If you have to recover 2 databases when restoring production, the the RMAN database is wrong server.

There is also no dependence on the RMAN repository when making backups.

If the connection to the repo fails, the backup will continue.

The exception I believe is if the connection fails during the backup.

The solution to that is don't connect until the backup is completed, and do a resync.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Sr Oracle DBA at Pythian
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com