Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

From: Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 06:18:03 -0700

Hi All,

        First off, if you are not properly backing up your control files then you will find yourself in trouble sooner or later. A repository will not help in that situation. If you are backing them up properly then you do not need a repository.

Norman Dunbar wrote:
> I'm intrigued though, as to why you are not keen?

Because it is extra work and cost for little to no purpose in many shops. Jared said "there is no good reason not to" Uhh, to my mind that is not a "good reason to do it"

Wayne Smith wrote:
> As I recall, it simplifies the occasion when the app owners say to restore
> the database to day x, and after you do it, they call back and say they
> really meant day x+1.

Why do I need a repository to do that? Apart from the fact that production dbs do not get "rolled back".

jay Hostetter wrote:
> There are some TSPITR limitations if you are NOT using a recovery catalog. See the Backup and Recovery Users's Guide.
> A catalog is also required in a Dataguard environment (see note 1362501.1).
> Having said that, I don't use the recovery catalog for my test/dev databases. I adjust the control_file_record_keep_time to 30 days.

Ahh, now we have a real reason. Of course TSPITRs are not done in a production environment at least not mine. Like you I adjust the keep time, however, I do not backup test or dev databases. The "Why I don't like DataGuard thread will follow" :)

So, are there any compelling reasons to use a repository in a small shop with 1-3 databases? Because without it, my sysadmins follow a 10 step procedure to do recovery if I'm not there.

YMMV
Dave