Re: RedHat 6 RAC Specific Questions & Concerns

From: Andy Colvin <acolvin_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 22:27:15 -0500

I've used MOS note #1062983.1 when recreating my ASM diskgroups - I haven't used it lately, but found it to be pretty reliable in the past (11.2.0.2 days). It covers the difference between 11.2.0.1 (crsctl start crs -excl) and 11.2.0.2+ (crsctl start crs -excl -nocrs), and gives the commands to recreate your CRS diskgroup, create a new generic spfile, and get the cluster back up and running. I strongly recommend creating a separate ASM diskgroup for your OCR and voting disks for one reason in particular. On most platforms running RAC/ASM, you will be using external redundancy. When creating OCR/voting disks in ASM on 11.2, the redundancy level of the diskgroup determines how many voting disks are created. External redundancy gets 1 voting disk, normal redundancy gets 3, high redundancy gets 5. It's generally a good idea to build out a small high redundancy diskgroup of 5 LUNs to provide the best protection. The loss of that LUN in external redundancy will take the node down. Losing one LUN in a high redundancy diskgroup will not affect the cluster at all.

Andy Colvin

Principal Consultant
Enkitec
andy.colvin_at_enkitec.com